You can leave the rum out of this recipe for a kid friendly summer treat.
1 - 14 oz. can of coconut milk
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded coconut
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten and room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
2/3 cup white rum (optional)
Serves 6 (depending on how you dish it out)
1. Place the pineapple in a shallow dish and pour rum over chunks. Cover and let chill in fridge for at least an hour before serving.
2. In a small bowl combine cornstarch and sugar and mix thoroughly.
3. In a saucepan mix the coconut milk, milk and shredded coconut over medium heat until slightly warm. Whisk in beaten egg and cornstarch mixture. Do not let mixture come to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking pudding mixture until pudding thickens, stirring constantly. It should take about 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat; allow to cool for about 5 minutes and add the vanilla and the nutmeg.
6. Pour pudding into a glass bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge to chill.
7. When ready to serve, place chunks of drained pineapple in bottom of a parfait glass, add some pudding and garnish with a wedge of pineapple or two.
For a really yummy fruit salad try adding banana, mangoes or strawberry.